On 12/10/10 20:54, magiccarpetride wrote:

> Robin Bowes;582344 Wrote:
>> I disagree that there is "nothing measurable about it"; there is
>> actually a lot about sound and audio reproduction that is measurable.
>> However, I don't believe measurement is everything. I agree with the
>> rest of what you say here.
>
> If you fall in love, is there anything measurable about it? Of course
> there is (like, your heart rate, the degree of perspiration, etc.) But
> are these measures relevant when trying to understand how much in love
> you are?

We are talking about measuring audio reproduction, not measuring
"music", hence your (very clever) analogy is flawed.

Some of the best performances I have in my library are some of the
oldest and worst sounding (eg. Rachmaninov playing Rachmaninov, recorded
in the 1930s). My enjoyment of the performance is a different thing to
my appreciation of the quality of the audio reproduction.

R.
--
"Feed that ego and you starve the soul" - Colonel J.D. Wilkes
http://www.theshackshakers.com/