OK I have been messing around with the Duet and tried my best to test it
as a transport by doing a fairly unscientific test using a Quad 99
CDP-2, which as some of you may know is a CD Player and DAC in one.
Whereas some are saying that keeping the SB in stock form will never
get me above mid-fi, I would say that the Quad CDP is true Hi-Fidelity
and not mid-fi material.

It's very easy to swap quickly between sources on the Quad CDP because,
by way of the CDP's remote, you select 'Dig1' to swap to the SB as a
source, and select 'CD' for the CDP as a source - and of course they
both use the same DAC which puts them on perfectly equal footing for
the test.

Playing the same music using CD medium for the CDP and FLAC files for
the SB, then flicking between the two using the remote, both myself and
my son (16 years old and excellent hearing) listening carefully, could
hear no difference at all.

This simple test shows at least that the SB with digital out as a
source is no worse off than the excellent CDP using the same DAC -
meaning the digital out of the SB is not really a hindrance at this
level (a £1000 CD Player).

Nice and easy test to prove things - in my book any way.

--
stop-spinning