pski;604562 Wrote:
> on 5 way speakers?

First question is WHY? That is way more cross-overs, driver enclosures,
and driver blending needed to cover the Human Hearing range with today's
technology.

Look at the 'Vandersteen Model 7'
(http://www.vandersteen.com/model7_specifications.pdf) speakers. It
covers more frequency range then the human ear can hear using only 4
drivers. All drivers are true time coherent and positive in absolute
phase as well as pistonic in pass-band.

Adding a Fifth driver would only mean another cross-over to deal with,
another driver enclosure, another driver needing to be time and phase
coherent, and lastly for me at least the biggest issue of any driver
above one is dealing with possible smear and left over artifacts from
the driver's backside and internal enclosure reflections rebroadcasting
through the driver. This is actually where I feel the Model 7 excels.
Its the first dynamic driver speaker system I have listened to that
brings no excess baggage whatsoever to the music! Now I am no saying
RIchard has eliminated these issues that all enclosed dynamic speakers
have, but what I am saying is that he has controlled or minimized them
to the point that the human ear can no longer recognize or hear them
for one only hears the intended music. And isn't that what really
counts? Getting the music to the listener in as real as possible of the
state of live music.

Just my thoughts as far as dynamic multiple driver speakers systems go.

--
iPhone

*iPhone*
Media Room:
Transporter, VTL TL-6.5 Signature Pre-Amp, Ayre MX-R Mono's, VeraStarr
6.4SE 6-channel Amp, Vandersteen Speakers: Quatro Wood Mains, VCC-5
Reference Center, four VSM-1 Signatures, Video: Runco RS 900 CineWide
AutoScope 2.35:1, Vandersteen V2W Subwoofer

Living Room:

Kitchen: Squeezebox BOOM
Bedroom: Squeezebox BOOM
Bathroom: Squeezebox Radio