Phil Leigh;605663 Wrote:
> Totally agree - "realistic", "accurate" and "transparent" are all
> strawmen or canards, because recordings aren't/can't be any of those
> things... indeed for certain types of music/recordings these words have
> no meaning whatsoever...
>
> I think we should be aiming for systems that make an enjoyable noise
> (as defined by each individual) with as wide a range of material as
> possible.
>
> YMMV of course.

You're right, that given the complexity of live instruments played in a
variety of acoustic environments that vary drastically from our
listening rooms, it is simply impossible to completely recreate a live
event with our stereos.

What you can have, however, is a recording and a playback system that
aids in the "willing suspension of disbelief" that allows us to imagine
we are hearing something real.

And, just as with good fiction literature, music doesn't have to have a
live antecedent in order to be meaningful and/or enjoyable.

I can appreciate the chase for a good playback system, but I rather
feel sorry for some of those who've become so obsessive about the
gadget end of the hobby that they can't enjoy the music if they think
even one thing is half a tick off.

--
mlsstl