I had a job at a company no longer in business, Voice of Music (union
kill them). My job was to repair audio equipment being rejected by QA.
They QAed every piece of stereo equipment.

We used tone generators and a Ballantine meters. The meter was used to
measure distortion at a given reference level. I believe that that is
an accurate way to measure sound quality.

It takes a 3Db change in sound to be heard by the average person. It is
also known that if a change is made that is suppose to improve things
our mind has a tendency to fool us. I have been fooled thinking the
sound was better to find out later the change had not taken affect.

Meters and scopes do not lie if their calibration has been certified.

--
vs27