magiccarpetride;611141 Wrote:
> See what I'm saying? Even if you haven't changed any component in your
> system, and are listening to the same track again, something else in
> your surroundings has changed (including your own conditions), and that
> change influences how you experience the second replay of the same
> track.
>
> My question is: since you can hear that something is different, can you
> measure the difference?
In that case you are no longer -"comparing two audio components
side-by-side"-, which is how you initially posed the question. Instead
you are comparing two different states of a much more complex system.
The difference can probably be measured, either qualitatively (yes,
qualitative measurement is not an oxymoron) by systematically eliciting
from the listener how they felt at different times. Or if you insist on
-"buttons and dials and blinking lights and beeping sounds"-, maybe
measurement using something like this:
http://www.ece.uah.edu/~jovanov/projects/mmViewer.jpg. But certainly
not with microphones or anything hooked up to the audio components.

In either case, even if you measure a difference you've changed so many
variables that you can't attribute the difference to audio components or
any other aspect.

--
aubuti