vs27;611140 Wrote:
> I had a job at a company no longer in business, Voice of Music (union
> kill them). My job was to repair audio equipment being rejected by QA.
> They QAed every piece of stereo equipment.
>
> We used tone generators and a Ballantine meters. The meter was used to
> measure distortion at a given reference level. I believe that that is
> an accurate way to measure sound quality.
>
> It takes a 3Db change in sound to be heard by the average person. It is
> also known that if a change is made that is suppose to improve things
> our mind has a tendency to fool us. I have been fooled thinking the
> sound was better to find out later the change had not taken affect.
>
> Meters and scopes do not lie if their calibration has been certified.

Interesting explanation. So, in the measuring environment you've
described here, were you guys able to measure the differences in the
soundstage that two audio systems project? Like, you could have 2 audio
systems playing the same track at the exact same loudness, and one will
portray a soundstage that looks completely different than the
soundstage portrayed by the other audio system. Surely you've been in
situations where you've experienced this? (some systems tend to be more
'forward' sounding whilst other systems may present musicians as if
they're a few feet 'behind' the speakers)

In which case, how do you measure that? What is your meter showing,
what is your oscilloscope showing?

--
magiccarpetride