reading through this thread I see that it veered very much off topic,
with the original topic still being "audio myths". So in an effort to
get the thread back on topic I offer the following.

I think that audio myths can be divided into three unique categories:

1) Tweaking myths - these would include the Soudcheck Toolbox and
things like magic clocks, stones and what have you.

2) Analog myths - these would include things like super expensive
cables, power conditioning, vinyl dimagnifying, etc.

3) Digital myths - these would include things like sonic difference
between hard drives, sonic differences between wi-fi and ethernet,
etc.

In all three categories many of the myths are not in fact myths but
very sound advice for getting improved sound but nonetheless in each
category there are still plenty of truly worthless myths.

The rather new embrace of computer based digital audio by the high end
audio segment has resulted in making digital myths the hot category.
And boy is the BS piling up fast. I've already started threads on this
forum dealing with this onslaught of mis-information and utter BS but
the BS pile just keeps on getting bigger. See these threads:

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=92168

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=92774

Late night after reading the latest installment of the TAS computer
audio series (mentioned in the first thread linked above) I came to the
realization that the audio myth makers are trying their best carry over
some of the truths and myths of analog audio into digital audio and
therein lies the problem. Stated plain and simply digital files are
very well understood and have been so for quite some time. Now for some
reason it is believed that the rules which apply to a digital file of a
document do not apply to a digital file of music. This is pure
nonsense. If one rips a CD onto a hard drive and provided the rip is
error free then it makes absolutely no difference what kind of device
one uses to store that digital file or what kind of lossless
compression one applies to file, since the compression is by definition
without loss.

What the high end audio world refuses to accept is that the lowly $300
Squeezebox Touch delivers the same exact digital data stream to an
external DAC (with or without any modifications to the Touch) as any
other digital delivery method from a megabuck CD/DVD transport to an
Apple computer runs some expensive music playback software and feeding
some fancy USB DAC.

What annoys the kool-aid drinkers out there is that the non-kool-aid
drinkers know FOR A PROVABLE FACT that 99% of their digital myths are
just that, MYTHS. And it's not because we are close minded or only hear
what we want to hear but because if the myths were in fact true than
every computer in the whole world would not longer function correctly.

Going back to Mnyb post #38 above I believe that he stated the problem
quite well. Let's stop focusing on trying to improve things which can't
be improved and focus instead on the areas where real improvements can
be made.

--
ralphpnj

Lock, Stock and Two Smoking Barrels -> Snatch -> The Transporter ->
Transporter 2 (oops) -> Touch