Ron Olsen;685915 Wrote:
> See
> http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=8225947#post8225947:
>
> Quote:
> How's about what Chris Russell of Bryston has to say when I emailed him
> some time back?
>
> Quote:
> Thanks for your interesting inquiry re power cords. I can answer fully
> with normal engineering considerations and simple information: There
> are likely to be 50 miles of cable and half a dozen or more
> transformers between you and the power plant generating the power that
> your sound system uses. It is unlikely, to say the least, that a power
> cord occupying the final six feet of that 50 miles can do anything
> positive to change the conditions of that power.
>
> It is possible to do damage to power delivery of course, by restricting
> current flow for instance. That would be the case if you had a cord
> which was too thin for the power needs, for example. If the power cord
> was much larger than necessary, however, it would unfortunately be
> limited by outside factors, such as the size of the wiring in your
> walls, or outside your house.
>
> It is also possible for a power cord to incorporate bandwidth-limiting
> components, to restrict the influx of RF or other contaminants to the
> 60Hz waveform. It is not possible, unfortunately, to do this without
> restricting the flow of 60Hz current to some degree as well. Most audio
> products, especially including Bryston audio components, contain
> internal circuitry designed to eliminate these contaminants within the
> power supply. They are designed to operate from an unrestricted source
> of 60Hz current, and will actually work less well if the current is
> restricted from the outside.
>
> In sum, it is certainly possible for a six-foot power cord to have an
> effect on the sound, and to change the sonic quality, for the worse. It
> is not possible, unfortunately, for this change to be an improvement, at
> least in connection with Bryston products. Bryston recommends that the
> customer do careful listening prior to spending what is usually a very
> substantial amount of money on exotic power cords. Remember that it is
> in the cord vendor's direct financial interest to proclaim an
> improvement in sound quality for their products, and that any change is
> not necessarily a desirable one.
>
> I hope the above is helpful, but please do not hesitate to get in touch
> if you have other questions.
>
> Sincerely,
> Chris Russell
> Bryston Ltd.

OK, let's get real for a moment: first off, anyone can fabricate an
'official' email that he has received from some representative (and if
not fabricate, then at least doctor that email). So I wouldn't put too
much stock into the quoted email.

Secondly, and assuming that the above quoted email is legit and
unaltered, are you honestly that naive to buy into the assumption that
a Bryston representative would openly admit that the product they're
building is less than perfect? Why would a marketing department ever do
that, admit that a super expensive product they're selling is shipping
with certain sub-standard components? It is only natural to see them
deny that any improvement to their flagship product could ever be
achieved in the aftermarket.

If Bryston is shipping amplifiers, they're than expected to claim how
all the parts are as good as they possibly can be. They will never,
under no circumstances, admit that a power cable that ships with their
amp is a terrible plastic piece of shit. Nor would they ever endorse a
product that is being offered by another vendor on the market.

If this fellow Chris Russell indeed wrote that email, I'm sure if were
to put him on the lie detectors, those needless will be going off the
charts like crazy!

--
magiccarpetride