darrell;685944 Wrote:
> Admirable scepticism, albeit a little intemperately expresssed. But
> shouldn't the same be applied to the people who have sold you 3x$99
> power cables over the past few days (in the absence of blind testing,
> etc)?
>
> I also wonder why Bryston would cripple the sound of their amplifiers,
> risking less positive reviews and poorer performance in demos, by not
> including such power cables as standard, if they do indeed do what you
> think they do, especially as the material cost to them of including the
> equivalent to a $99 (retail price) power cable is likely to be
> negligible compared to what they ask for their amplifiers?

Good points. Regarding point #1, we've already discussed elsewhere how
difficult it gets to match the wine with the meal. Different
connoisseurs will have different experiences when pairing different
wines/meals. Same goes for power cables. On my system, which is biased
toward punchy, resolute, dynamic sound, Nordost power cables only
exacerbate that quality, rendering it caricatural. Because of that,
I've discovered that Shunyata plays very nicely by making the sound
sweeter, more liquid, while at the same time clearing it up. Other
people's system may not respond to Shunyata favorably, but may welcome
Nordost as a much needed boost in dynamics and torque. Blind tests are
absolutely useless there.

Re #2, when was the last time you've heard that an audiophile component
was offered on the market by combining parts from various high-end
vendors? All the components we see on the market today were made in a
monolithic fashion, meaning that a Bryston amplifier was made by
Bryston Ltd. For them to say "oh, and by the way, we have partnered
with Shunyata to give you even better experience" would be unthinkable.
For two reasons:

1. They'd be admitting that they are incapable of manufacturing high
quality power cable, and if they can't do that, what are the odds that
the rest of their product is any good?

2. They cannot guarantee how will Shunyata pair with other components
in their customers' audio chain.

It is much safer and less controversial for them to just deny that
there is any possibility of improving the sound of their amp. It's
already exorbitantly expensive, so it must sound amazing right out of
the box.

Plus they know that 95% of their customers are incapable of hearing any
difference between their high end product and some dinky Best Buy home
theatre AV receiver, so why bother?

--
magiccarpetride