Soulkeeper;686458 Wrote:
> In many circumstances well and good, but when one of those sides is
> patently wrong (e.g. "fiddling with my LMS box lifts a veil from the
> blacker blacks, it's night and day, and it's definitely not in my head,
> because as we all know TCP/IP is not bit perfect, and it does suffer
> from jitter, just like everything else except extremely expensive god
> given audiophile magical equipment"), and the other is obviously
> correct ("BS, it's asynchroneous and has error correction, RTFM"), the
> middle ground is also wrong.
>
> I agree that one shouldn't bee dogmatical, but having a sense of
> reality is not dogma. And magical thinking is not openmindedness.
I agree. There is a sort of knee jerk middleism which can be socially
useful
but is intellectually dishonest and often sanctimonious.

When dealing with squabbling children, you usually have to say they are
both equally right and wrong and that there are two sides to a story
blah blah  a) because you don't actually know; b) because you don't
actually care: you just want them to shut up.

Equally in many social situations amongst decent honest folk it's a
reasonable startign point to assume that most strife is all down to
misunderstandings, and it's helpful if someone plays peacemaker.

But when people are talking crap, it frankly isn't very helpful or
clver to leap to the position that they are half right.

That can I think be distinguished from various social proprieties which
should be observed.

a.I am all for observing norms of courtesy etc provided that other do;
but life is just too short to waste it pretending that persistent and
importunate trolls and fruitcakes are anything else. In real life you
don't have communications with people like that if you can avoid it.

b. I do think that there are situations in which people should mind
their own business. Some who starts a thread saying can anyone
recommend some good speaker cables between £50-100/m is IMHO entitled
to get through their day without being told that all speaker cables
sound the same. Equally someone who asks about getting a dac should be
able to get through their day without being told that this is a waste
of time without a linear psu on their router. This is not to do with
the correctness or otherwise of the views expressed.

c. equally there is a lot of attention-seeking behaviour.We may all be
guilty of a little tendentiousness now and again, and we should not
complain if people take up the opportunity for a scrap when it is
offered.

And finally, (and possibly hypocritically), what bothers me is not
arguing or (by and large) rudeness but the lack of genuine reflection.
Maybe it would be good idea if we all had to press a timer when we read
a post and to not be allowed to respond for an hour.

--
adamdea