soundcheck;686882 Wrote:
>      2. Since we discovered the server impact more than a year ago,
> we've
> been running one server wireless.
> Guess what. The server optimzation still made a difference.
> Again. All stuff that I post has been verified on several
> systems
> before I post it.

Hopefully Phil has cleared up the confusion regarding the physical
nature of bits once they're in the Touch's buffer.

So what do you think is going on here? This is getting into the realm
of the very implausible indeed. I suppose one might hypothesise that
noise from the server and router is somehow getting into the hifi
system via the mains, and that subtly changing the timing of the
ethernet data packets is injecting differing levels of noise into the
system.

So here is a suggestion to remove even that possibility: run the server
on a laptop on battery power. Install something like
http://virtualrouter.codeplex.com/ so that the Touch can connect
wirelessly directly to the laptop. Turn off your router. Now test the
effect of your server settings.

If you still hear a difference, please at least consider the
possibility of psychological factors - such a scientifically
implausible result would demand it.

--
darrell