Mnyb wrote:
> I would for example have no problem using speakers designed 20 years ago
> .

Neither would I - my primary system is still using Linn Isobariks,
designed in the 70's (but upgraded to active and digital crossover),
and while my computer monitors are 12-year-old Genelecs, the "tertiary"
system has BBC LS3/5A's...

> What do improve is production methods and thus the price of components
> and products on never technology until they reach a level where
> mass-market is comfortable paying , eg flat TV the cost what they cost
> but you get a bigger one next year .

Indeed. But the "cheaper stuff is getting closer to the performance of
more expensive stuff" message doesn't go down well with the "status
audiophiles".