darrenyeats wrote:
> Also, mastering engineers are prevented from doing certain kinds of
> stupid things, like brick-wall compression, by the nature of the vinyl
> format itself. Again, if there is a better master for vinyl one has to
> accept this fact. (Personally I don't own a turntable but this would be
> the reason for me to buy one.)
Actually this isn't universally true. It is entirely possible to cut a
vinyl from a heavily-compressed master. (Doing so requires that the peak
level be backed off, with a resulting decrease in S/N ratio - but since
a hypercompressed master is pretty much loud all the time, a poor S/N
ratio isn't actually a problem).

There are lots of examples where a vinyl release has less dynamic range
compression than the CD, but there are also plenty of examples where the
vinyl and CD have been cut from the same hypercompressed master. There's
a thread on Hydrogen Audio that discusses this:
http://www.hydrogenaudio.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=98199

Buying a vinyl album does NOT guarantee that you avoid the evils of
hypercompression.