pippin wrote:
> a) This is not about you, believe it or not.
> b) and c) But that's not what's happening. What's happening is that
> people are screwing up their systems because they believe they are
> improving their sound.
>
> Still no problem. The problem for me starts where they start to complain
> about the screwed up system and blame other stuff and causing work for
> me. And usually not even telling me "hey, I did screw up my system while
> tinkering around with settings, could you maybe help me?", they say
> "HEY, YOUR APP SUCKS BECAUSE IT DOESN'T WORK AT ALL AND I PAID SOOOO
> MUCH FOR IT NOW GO DIAGNOSE AND FIX MY SYSTEM. NOW!!!!!!!"
>
> And the problems are plenty. Your example is just one pretty special
> case, yet, sorry, kind of typical because in your case it was again some
> very special, nonstandard setting, in this case combined with the fact
> that you had an outdated beta version of the server software. And at
> first you didn't say you are streaming PCM.
> You didn't ask me, though, you asked Michael, I did mention this isn't
> about you, didn't I :)
>
> Examples of things that frequently break for people using WAV or PCM
> streaming or both:
> >   >   >
  - tagging
  - sorting
  - transcoding (e.g. for remote playback
  - playback of remote streams
  - playback of not directly supported formats (AAC for old
  > Squeezeboxes, WMA for iPeng and so on,...)
  - playback of up- or downsampled files
  - network load issues
  - synchronization

Nothing strange in this, they will always do like that. But You know
they ar esometime rigth just because you don't clearly stated BEFORE it
was not faseable...

If you did,  You could even charge them when you discover they did. But
if You have  asetting in the system that broke you software, is up to
you, You are going to recieve complaints and - sure - your software is
broken here.

pippin wrote:

> Just to be clear, I don't want to get rid of WAV. I'm just saying WAV
> causes issues with tagging, PCM streaming causes issues with streaming.
> It's a fact.

Those are yuor opinons, not fact. I could say misuse of tagging and
streaming with WAV could cause problems, then a Tagging application or a
server shoul take care of this or... Just don't support them!

So I suggest you don't support WAV TAGGING, clearly STATE you retain
support IF PCM streaming is activated (you could check it in your
software, I suppose) in your software. If someone then call you for
this, You could even charge him (Major software company do exactly that
way).

pippin wrote:

> In this special case, though, it's about ignoring fixes already present
> in the server and then disabling them.
> Most people having issues are not really tech-savvy and know what they
> are tinkering around with. They have heard somewhere on some forum that
> their sound would get better if they change some setting because then
> their playback would be "bit-true" and the effect is "dramatic", so they
> change it. And then they don't understand the effects.

My wife is driving her car never wondering about the oil in 30 years...
Ended in bringing her car to service same time as mine, could you thing
you can change her mind? Good luck.

pippin wrote:

> I can clearly see that you have never had contact with customers or
> users of your technical system in your life.
> A huge part of Apple's success, for example, resides on the fact that
> they usually simply don't give users the choice to screw up their system
> and don't introduce features that don't work in certain supported cases.

And here you are really wrong!

I was product manager and service director in a software factory
producing ERP systems. Agree on the Apple example (was better some years
ago, then), it' exactly what I was adviging you to do with your
software!