Julf wrote:
> User marcoc1712 started 'this thread'
> (http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?104198-Disk-and-folder-browsing&p=828137&viewfull=1#post828137)
> in the developer forum. The tread is primarily about possible bugs
> associated with trying to stream pure pcm or wav format files. In order
> to keep that thread focused on the actual functioning of the software,
> this thread, here in the Audiophile subforum, is  discussion about the
> possible claimed benefits (and disadvantages) of "raw" pcm vs. flac.
>
> Technically wav isn't a very good format for streaming, so anyone using
> it probably has reasons for doing so. The usual reason is the audiophile
> folklore about "uncompressed" sounding better than lossless compression.
>

> Often the folklore is based on misunderstanding the nature of lossless
> encodings, but a slightly more sophisticated argument is based on the
> supposed extra CPU load caused by flac decoding. This ignores the added
> processing and IO load (not just in the player application, but also in
> the kernel and device drivers) caused by the redundant data - and
> assumes that small differences in CPU load would cause audible
> differences.
>
> Archimago 'measured the effect of cpu load on jiitter'
> (http://archimago.blogspot.com/2013/03/measurements-hunt-for-load-induced.html)
> in 2013, and concluded that "symmetrical jitter sidebands are no
> different whether CPU or GPU load high".
>
> So far I have not seen any measurements or controlled listening tests
> showing any audible difference. I would welcome pointers to either.

Hi all,

I'm here just becouse Julf named me as the one opened the THD, but - as
you could read in the original thd - I was the first asking not to open
this can of worm , again...

I feel quite stupid about that, but it resulted that the bug I was
reporting was already soved and I was running an old version of the
software...Something went wrong at some point this summer and I did non
double ceck... Sorry to waste my and Michael time for this.

But at the end of the day, this means LMS is still supporting WAV, AIF
and PCM streaming and this is a very good news for me.

As a note, I want to report that I was impressed (in a very negative
way) by the 'hate' some people has put in the world 'audiophile' being a
sufficient reason itself for reject the question and relegate it to this
'ghetto'.

I was wrong (an stupid)  because I was usingan old version, but I was
right in the matter,it's so thrue that was already solved!

Hope someone else have a similar tought about mocking everythink 'sounds
like' being audiophile... As a note, all the 'rumor' in the THD, for
sure contributed to make the waste even bigger. Again, sorry for this.

About the matter of this thread, I'm not really interested,  is one of
those things that one has to try by itself in his own system. Aftre
reding the Archimago article, it's clear (and is not nothing) that
differences are little but are in place, "-90db means are inaudible" is
wrong, it depends on many factors. But here I think other than IT guys
have to join the discussion.

Discerne if rumors come from CPU, memory, ethernet or what else is not
in my competence field, so I don't ever want to debate this.

Measure by two different systems shows CPU usage Is increasing using
flac vs WAV, net traffic is - of course - decreasing by a greater factor
(see the original THD for details), but sure, those measure are too
naif.

I'm still missing the one that prouf the opposite and - in any case-  I
think they are not 'the answer' to the question.