pippin wrote:
> I've done measurements with a profiler on ARM6 on iOS in the past and
> there the App side of the network code alone (reading the data from the
> network subsystem and writing it into the output ring buffer) created
> more load than reading half the data as FLAC and decoding the FLAC but
> that might be caused partially by inefficiencies in the iOS network
> subsystem. It definitely shows how efficient FLAC is, there's almost no
> CPU load involved for the decoding alone.
I didn't think about these things a while but remember a developer of
the rockbox alternative player firmware team posted something similar at
hydrogenaudio. Playing flac allowed players playing longer as
uncompressed.

Transporter (modded) -> RG142 -> Avantgarde Acoustic based 500VA
monoblocks -> Sommer SPK240 -> self-made speakers