pippin wrote:
> And I am missing a proof that Nessie doesn't exist.
> It's not possible to prove that something doesn't exist.
> And this fact is being used by a huge "audiophile" business sector to
> sell expensive snake oil to people. Which is exactly where all the hate
> is coming from.
>
> For me personally, I'm seeing that a significant part of the people
> asking me for customer support have simply screwed up their system due
> to following some of these audiophile guides and then they want help
> from me, put the blame on my App etc. etc., it's affects the amount of
> time I have to do seriously useful features and in fact there are
> seriousness useful features I did NOT implement due to the very fact
> that they might cause issues in such setups and therefore create even
> more support issues.
>
> If it was just a spleen it wasn't a big issue but it potentially affects
> the quality of products even of those who don't want to follow it,
> that's a problem.

Pippin:

a. I'm not asking support for any of your products here.
b. If a system could be easily broken by fancy settings, people will
easily find the way. (Murphy law).
c. If a system could be broken, people will find the way. (a variant to
the Murphy law).

To be clear, You would like to get rid of WAV in LMS, let us use this as
an example.

LMS suports WAV since the really beginning and is still declared to be.
YOu are legitimate to ask the community to EOF WAV support, but until it
i ssupported, it should work as the other formats does, otherwise people
is legitimate to think is a bug...What's wrong with this?

If You - as a third party product developers - wanted introduce some
features thar could not work with WAV, you are always been welcome (i.e.
Earland plugins don't work with cue files) just declare it, test it
runtime and in case deny the service. More you'll be clear the less
people will call your support service (and claim you product is broken,
but could claim your product miss that faeature).

The same is valid for EVERY functionality. Is up to you be aware your
product is operating in a safe environment, if you do not and  a user
find a bug in a condition where is supposed to work... he is rigth when
asking, you where wrong in programming, so, better fix the problem.