edwardthern wrote:
> Talking about perception is never a problem with normal people.
>
> People talk about food at restaurants, movies, books, vacation spots
> etc. all the time.....no measurement data needed, only perceptional
> views.
>
> The moment you people bring up measurements you sound ridiculous.
> Imagine people using your logic for the aforementioned topics.
> Joe: You know I really like Sam's Burgers, they taste so good and they
> fill me up too, I can hardly even eat one. Unlike Smith's burgers, they
> seem greasy and make me feel bad.
> Mark: What?!?!?! What kind of measurement data do you have that proves
> Sam's meat is any different than Smith's meat? In fact the buns are the
> same too, flour, eggs, yeast etc. All this Sam's burgers, Smith's
> burgers crap is crazy. You make assumptions but have no real data to
> back it up!!

First, back in the kitchen, good chefs still measure things. That's why
the food you like is consistently good.And the best cooks understand the
scientific basis for choosing, combining and processing the ingredients.
Just having the original recipe doesn't guarantee good results if the
cook doesn't understand the cooking process.

With respect to audio, if ONLY the subjective types limited their
statements to "I like this better than that", there wouldn't be much
conflict. However, when one reads any of the audiophile press, you will
see endless discussions of technical detail in support of their
subjective conclusions. That's where most objectivists part ways -- they
are tired of hearing endless technical blather in support of someone
else's subjective opinion.

There's another aspect, too. For whatever reason, subjectivists seem
loathe to accept the fact that there are any non-audio subliminal
factors influencing their judgment. I find it quite ironic that
subjectivists often expend an enormous amount amount of time denying
subjective influences while expounding to great length on the technical
aspects , sometimes BS and sometimes not, that they believe support
their conclusions.

As I've often noted before, I'm the single biggest variable in my
system. I accept that my mood, other things that have happened that day
and my physical state at the moment have far more impact on my listening
enjoyment than which brand of DAC chip I have.