alfista wrote:
> The point is that rating the chips in isolation is for the most part not
> meaningful, the environment you place the chip in often has more impact
> on the result.
> There may be virtually no differences between two chips under ideal
> conditions, while two different implementations with the same chip may
> display a big difference. Neither of the differences is necessarily
> audible, but if the design is sufficiently bad it might be.

Here is an excerpt from a review of 3 dacs made by the same company in
question "Audiogd". Notice the reviewer mentions the different sound
signatures from the different dacs which all share the same topology and
analogue stage but use a different dac chip.

*\"I HAVE NOTICED THAT THE NFB-7 IS NO LONGER LISTED ON THE AUDIO-GD
WEBSITE, IN FACT NO SABRE32 CHIP DAC'S ARE CURRENTLY LISTED.

IF THIS IS A PERMANENT DECISION THEN IT IS IMO A VERY DISAPPOINTING
DEVELOPMENT.

THE SABRE32 CHIP RANGE OF DAC'S PROVIDE THE SAME LEVEL OF SOUND QUALITY
WITH A DIFFERENT SOUND SIGNATURE THAN THE PCM1704UK OR WOLFSON WITH A
MORE ENERGETIC, DYNAMIC AND EXCITING SOUND WHICH MAY SUIT A LOT OF
PEOPLE BETTER THAN THE DARKER MORE LAID BACK SOUND OF ITS WOLFSON OR
PCM1704 RIVALS.\"*

http://www.head-fi.org/t/572385/review-audio-gd-nfb-7