arnyk wrote:
> Note the recommendation of magic cables from Canford Audio.  Note that
> Canford cables sell many different kinds of audio cable. Which one,
> specifically?  Why not any of the many other sources of pro audio
> cables?
>
> Just another friendly post encouraging you to do a sighted evaluation so
> that preconceived notions about sound quality can dictate the outcome of
> the evaluation.
>

> No flame - just the relevant facts.
>
> The actual audibility of 20 psec jitter with musical program material is
> generally non-existent. In fact, if transcribed from any analog
> recording (analog tape or vinyl) , the recording will have many times
> that amount of jitter "baked into" it from the analog domain. Ever hear
> someone rant and rave about the jitter in analog tapes or vinyl? Funny
> thing is that its there and generally in audible amounts, unlike the
> usual situation with pure digital recordings.

The only reason that I buy from Canford Audio is that they are suppliers
of studio cables, not hi-fi vendors, & consequently their stuff is good
quality at sensible prices. The specific cables I'm using to connect the
DAC to the Transporter are a digital AES XLR balanced 2m cable for the
0's & 1's, and a BNC cable for the word clock feed.

There is absolutely no doubt that this arrangement has produced a
dramatic improvement in the context of my system. Since I agree with the
general sentiment that the DAC in the Transporter is of sufficient
quality, the only explanation that I can offer for the improvement is
the slaving of the signal to the DAC word clock. I have described the
effects on the sound & the other components of my system already in the
other thread that I referenced in my previous post, but if you would
like me to sum it up, I defer to Miles Davis who once said that it was
the spaces between the notes that make the music. it is precisely those
spaces which are emphasised...

I was previously using the balanced analogue XLR outputs of the
Transporter to connect to similar balanced inputs on my Pathos amp,
strangely also using Canford Audio XLR interconnects, although this time
ones intended for an analogue signal.

If anyone can offer an alternative explanation to my jitter suggestion,
other than that I am completely deluded, I should be most interested to
hear it. Is it possible that jitter in an incoming digital signal to a
DAC has more significance than jitter in an analogue signal chain? And
why did Sean put the word clock in on the Transporter unless he thought
it could make a difference under appropriate circumstances?

"There are more questions than answers"

Dave :)