Golden Earring wrote:
> Accepting that mammalian ears have been around quite a while, although
> obviously certain species (bats, for example are very specifically
> adapted) have diverged, I would guess that the basic mechanism has had
> plenty of time for natural selection to do its bit, although
> evolutionary biology is not my strong suit. I'm curious as to what
> advantage the phenomenon you describe could bestow...

Our hearing systems have evolved to maximize sensitivity to potential
existential threats such as large bloodthirsty predators given that our
brains and nervous systems which have relatively slow (but in the case
of the brain quite subtle) processing speeds and therefore are optimized
when data rates are lowered in optimal ways.   Our sensory arguments
particularly our ears incorporate many mechanisms that reduce the data
rate of the information they transmit to the brain.