darrenyeats wrote:
> Arny,
> You make your argument with characteristic gusto. I agree with some of
> the facts you provide, e.g. a lot IM is generated by music replay, but I
> don't see that I should infer from this that the HD profile is no factor
> for subjective quality. Your argument seems to imply there can be no
> such thing as euphonic distortion in replay, no?
>
> Of course we can't absolutely draw a straight line (so to speak!) from
> HD to IM in the real world e.g. http://www.linkwitzlab.com/mid_dist.htm.
> Darren

You're hearing me say what you want to hear, not what I said.

If you listen to anything but simple test tones over a system with
nonlinear distortion, you will hear IM. It is probable that the IM will
predominate because of its nature. (explained by means of a simple
example, below)

The only way to have the HD profile be a greater factor than the IM is
to listen to pure test tones. As soon as you start listening to music,
the IM will overwhelm the harmonic distortion.

Let's say that you have an amp that has only a second order nonlinearity
that is as large as possible.

If you put in 1KHz, you will get out a 2 KHz tone half the amplitude of
the input wave, plus a DC signal that is also half the amplitude of the
input, but since your speakers and ears dont' respond to DC, it will be
inaudible.

If you put in a 1 KHz tone and a 1.5 KHz tone  that are together the
same amplitude, you will make each half the maximum amplitude so they
don't clip when you sum them.

Due to the *same nonlinearity *you will get a 500 Hz tone, a 2 KHz tone,
a 2500 Hz. tone and a 3 KHz tone.  Right off you get about four times
as many audible distortion-related spurious responses.   The 500 and
2500 Hz tones are about half the size of each input wave, and the 2 KHz
and 3 KHz tones are about half as large as them. So, the spurious
about double the percentage as the one audible tone from the harmonic
distortion.

Thus the IM will overwhelm the harmonic distortion. Furthermore the
harmonic distortion is likely to be masked by the natural harmonic
structure of musical sounds, while the IM distortion as you can see, is
about half tones that are not harmonically related to the source,  and
won't have anything to mask them in the music. They will blare in your
ear!