Golden Earring wrote:
> I'm most interested to hear Arny's take on solid-state Class A with
> regard to IM. I know that most recording studios use Class A amplifiers
> in their monitoring chain.

As one part of the monitoring chain, yes, but it is becoming less
common. For near-field monitoring, studios use active monitors that have
class D or A/B amps built in, and for listening room use class A amps
don't have enough power for modern, power-hungry speakers.

IM distortion, just like HD, is caused by non-linearity. A badly
designed class A/B amp can have nonlinearity caused by the (gradual)
transfer from class A to B, and push-pull designs can have crossover
distortion. Neither are an issue with most class D architectures.

"To try to judge the real from the false will always be hard. In this
fast-growing art of 'high fidelity' the quackery will bear a solid gilt
edge that will fool many people" - Paul W Klipsch, 1953