The suggestion has been raised that all this talk about Quantum
Mechanics is not really relevant to a discussion of audio systems.

I would make the following points:

1. All solid-state semiconductors rely on Quantum Mechanical effects to
operate in the first place

2. Quite apart from the practical engineering difficulties in designing
accurate electronic measuring equipment (which itself will contain such
devices), we have the theoretical point that you can *-alter-* the
reality you seek to measure by the action of measuring it (possibility
of inducing the collapse of superposition)

3. There are specific theoretical limits to the maximum accuracy of a
measurement, no matter how sophisticated the equipment used to make it

Whether any of the above will have a significant effect at a real-world
level will depend upon the precise circumstances of each "objective"
measurement we seek to obtain, but when we are dealing with gear that's
purpose is to apply a significant amplification to a low-level
reconstruction of a complex waveform consisting of multiple simultaneous
frequencies each of different amplitude & duration, I think that the
possibility of these matters beginning to intrude should not be
dismissed out-of-hand.

It's another beautiful day on Hayling Island - I'd better get out there
now!

Dave :)