Golden Earring wrote:

> If not, I suggest you examine the famous double-slit experiment which
> actually illustrates the wave/particle duality of nature. There is an
> adequate write-up in Wikipaedia if you need a reference.

Yeah, the double slit experiment captures the essence of quantum
behaviour. The "delayed choice quantum eraser" experiment is even
weirder I think.

This is the way I would put it. When the photon is displaying quantum
behaviour it is in the superposition state. This is a state of
probabilities, and these probabilities move around in a wave fashion -
when the photon is in this state, it's not a particle and it makes no
sense to say it passes through a slit, let alone two slits at the same
time. It just isn't a particle when it's superposition. One could say
the particle IS an observation, or an observation is a particle. Between
observations there is quantum behaviour in superposition state - wave
behaviour - no particle.

That's how the experiment works, by observing the particle at one of the
second slits, the wave behaviour at that stage is interrupted. And the
two slits stage is the key stage, since having the two apertures in
parallel would cause the wave to interfere with itself.

Check it, add to it! http://www.dr.loudness-war.info/

SB Touch