Julf wrote:
> Quantum effects matter in stuff like semiconductors and thermal noise,
> but considering how ignorant of the functioning of even basic electrical
> circuits the average audiophile is, we are pretty far from having to
> look at quantum effects when *applying* the results of the research work
> of semiconductor engineers and physicists.

Hi Julf,

I would entirely agree with you that it is not obvious how any quantum
effects would manifest. My point is that taking "objective" measurements
inside the electronic processing chain may not be a completely reliable
guide to determining what is happening when you actually leave the box
alone to do its stuff.

My loudspeakers only contain passive components (& not many of them!) in
their crossover circuitry & the transducers are simply attempting to
convert the complex analogue signal fed to them into sound waves.

Sound is propagated through the air by pressure waves alone - there is
no wave/particle duality at this stage to be concerned about. In other
words when I listen to these sound waves I am not participating in any
kind of observation/measurement that could cause any superposition
process earlier in the audio chain to collapse.

The ABX listening test is therefore the ultimate "objective" test of
system performance, preferable to any measurements within the electronic
part of the chain, especially the digital to analogue conversion stage -
I think that Arny has made the case that the analogue amplification
stages can be realised with vanishingly small non-linear artifacts being
added to the input signal.

Hope you get my drift. The chap who designed my DAC has written a short
paper on his design philosophy & methodology. He stresses that he
listens first to identify shortcomings, *-Then-* takes some measurements
in the hope that they will assist in rectifying the perceived problems,
makes his changes the electronics as appears necessary and then listens
again. If there are still problems he either tries measuring something
else or starts making incremental changes where possible to see if they
make matters better or worse. It's all an iterative process for him.
Since he's spent 20 years working in recording studios & has designed
both ADCs & DACs used often by recording engineers, he has access to a
lot of kit & recordings. For example, he could compare the purely
analogue chain of processing from the amplified output of a professional
high speed analogue tape machine (with very low analogue "jitter" of the
kind that Arny finds objectionable, caused by wow & flutter) playing an
analogue master tape with the output of the same device fed through an
ADC-DAC chain prior to the same amplification which is almost an ABX
test in itself (it's actually a sighted A-B test, but could easily be
altered to a full ABX).

I tend to trust the judgement of recording engineers (which is why my
system doesn't have tone controls or user-adjustable balance), so I
thought I'd take a punt on his box of tricks. Since it also contains a
good fully-balanced headphone amplifier & a MM/MC phono preamplifier
with equalisation, neither of which I had already although I do have
some decent cans & a reasonable record deck with some legacy LP's. So I
figured I wasn't risking that much dush if the DAC made no audible
difference to my system.

I still think it does - the ABX test is the real "proof of the
pudding"...

Dave :)