darrenyeats wrote:
> Modern sources are all pretty good. The question of whether there are
> slight differences is a valid one, but it's less important to me; I
> realise "where it's at" and that's mostly acoustics and transducers.

Hi Darren!

Being stuck with my sub-optimal square solid room, complete with
concrete floor & beam-&-concrete ceiling, I have done my best by getting
good stand-mounts & using a distributed twin subwoofer set-up. Under the
circumstances it actually sounds surprising good. I should probably put
some acoustic panels on the ceiling & stick a bass trap in a spare
corner, but I think I've actually got used to the room acoustic & that
my brain is to some extent at least filtering out the static reflections
which of course arrive at my ears slightly later than the direct sound.

Before the savannah period our ancestors lived in wooded areas where
there would be lots of static reflections, so it is not totally crazier
that Natural Selection may have endowed us with an ability to do this
which has not disappeared (speculative opinion here!).

My DAC also sounds very good directly feeding my HD800S cans which are
amongst the best dynamic headsets around (& I can then turn the
amplifier off!). Of course the soundstage is engineered for loudspeaker
listening (where the sound from both speakers reaches both ears) on
most, but not all recordings. There's a dummy-head side to the Edgar
Froese (of Tangerine Dream) "Aqua" album which was also released on CD.

Dave :)