darrenyeats wrote:
> Arguments over blind testing, DACs etc. miss the most practical point
> IMO - that the biggest problems in the playback chain are the speaker,
> room and possibly amplification.

That would seem to be based on the idea that there are no way to do
relevant blind tests related to  speaker, room and possibly
amplification.  Executive summary: wrong, wrong, and damn wrong.

> Yesterday I listened to some good electrostatic headphones, using as a
> source my Windows phone playing MP3s! It sounded legitimately good!
> Electrostatic transducers are very suited to headphone application, and
> of course all headphones lack the problems of room acoustics.

If you have an Android phone at your disposal, you would do well to
download and use this product: Neutralizer. Type that into the Android
Play Store and you will at worst be in for an interesting experience.

> Modern sources are all pretty good. The question of whether there are
> slight differences is a valid one, but it's less important to me; I
> realise "where it's at" and that's mostly acoustics and transducers.

But you've made the blanket statement that DBTs don't apply to them and
that is horrifically wrong.

> I don't deny DACs might differ slightly in sound - and I maintain it's
> very difficult for us punters to determine the truth reliably - but I'm
> happy to live and let live just as long as you HAVE actually got the
> rest sorted out to the best level you can!

I like that best you can, part. It includes several kinds of tests, some
DBTs.