arnyk wrote:
> I can't recall what you reported, but I can tell you that in general the
> clocks of audio products are very accurate and very stable and fall
> miles within the relatively poor human ability to perceive long-term or
> short term changes in pitch. That's what changes in clock frequency show
> up as, changes in pitch.

Morning Arny!

I hear you & I don't disagree with your statements, but it could still
be somewhat analogous to the analogue wow & flutter which you have
yourself reported as finding particularly irritating: for myself I found
that I was able to "suspend my disbelief" sufficiently once I got my
LP12/Ittok LVII/Koetsu (first Black then Rosewood Signature) source. I
had previously owned a Transcriptors (later Mitchell Engineering)
Hydraulic Reference deck with an SME 3009 arm & a Shure V15 MkIII
cartridge (I'm sure you remember the '70s too) & the difference was like
night & day. The Koetsu's tracked at 2g (which would formerly have been
regarded as excessive) but managed not to grind through my vinyl by
virtue of a very sexy stylus tip shape despite the low compliance of the
cartridge which I accommodated by fitting a (Linn supplied) additional
counterweight to the Ittok. This arm has precision ball-bearings (how
well these have survived my travels in the past 30 years remains to be
seen) rather than the knife edge bearings of the 3009, & the Shure V15
was of course a high compliance cartridge (as I recall, it would track
quite happily at around 0.8g), so the newer design was a complete
sea-change. Although the extrovert made much of the revolutionary
qualities of his kit, the LP12 is really a derivative from the original
AR turntable design from at least 10 years earlier, & Linn contracted
out their precision engineering work. I believe the more recent SME
turntables & Mk.V arm would now be superior (but a little bit more
expensive :D ) - they at least do their own production in-house & use
the heavy isolated belt drive concept for their decks & have switched to
the precision all-round bearing approach for their arms. I do intend to
hook up my old kit again now that I have a moving coil cartridge
preamplifier (included in the Brokkly DAC) just for old time's sake:
however, I'm sure you'd still hate it if you heard it! :mad: ,
:rolleyes: ...

I wondered if you had any direct comments on the research paper that I
referenced (which may or may not prove to be good science depending on
whether the claimed results are confirmed independently). The test
results were intriguing if valid. Correct me if I'm wrong here but I
believe Shannon's sampling theory proof based on Nyquist's earlier
conjecture (which only concerned Morse code, a digital source) if the
sampling frequency is not completely regular is dependent upon the noise
components mixed with the signal being "i.i.d." (independent &
identically distributed) & that if that is *-not-* the case there may be
theoretical problems in the interpolation process necessary for the
reconstruction of the original analogue signal (I think that the
Cheung-Marks Theorem covers an extreme aspect of this, where they show
the addition of an arbitrarily small amount of *-non--*i.i.d. noise,
such as that arising from quantisation errors, may make the
reconstruction process "ill-posed" which is maths jargon for saying it
no longer has a unique solution), IOW -the precise job that the DAC is
attempting-, and in particular that suggestions made by Shannon in
attempting to generalise his results to irregular sampling intervals are
not correct. Even small instabilities might have some effect following
this line of thought.

This is all rather heavy stuff, & I'm guessing that any audible
differences would tend to arise in the quiet passages of source material
with a high dynamic range where the difference between the signal
amplitude & the noise floor is reduced. Just perhaps some people may be
attuned to "digital jitter" in this wider sense of including clock
drifting inaccuracies, in an analogous way to the fact that you found
early CD's (which did have some problems of their own in terms of
engineering quality of recording) preferable to analogue, whereas at
that stage I definitely preferred my (mature technology) analogue
set-up.

It's just a thought. Obviously we don't capture the full concert hall
dynamic range of an orchestra even with our digital recordings, & if we
did either the quiet parts would be smothered by ambient noise or the
loud parts would make our ears bleed in the context of domestic
listening. It's a question of producing a subjectively satisfying
illusion of the underlying musical performance ultimately which may
leave -some- "wriggle-room" for individual preferences yet.

Still staying open minded atm this side of the pond.

Dave :)