Golden Earring wrote:
> As a piece of ergonomic design it's very clever. As the only mechanical
> component of a now unsupported unit it is an obvious potential failure
> point - nevertheless, the knob on the (then Slim Devices branded)
> Transporter I own which probably dates from 2005/6 (I bought it s/hand
> in 2009) still works perfectly.
As Dave says, the TP doesn't need the knob. I think I may have used the
knob on mine a couple of times just out of curiosity. The TP works just
fine via any of the other interface mechanisms (IR remote, Duet
controller, iPhone/Android apps, browser, etc).

Perhaps Dave's knob and mine still work simply because they haven't been
used. (Cue sniggering from the back). Actually, I don't know if the knob
on my TP still works because I can't remember the last time I touched
it.

Whether it's ergonomically clever is a matter of opinion. I think the
force feedback feels a bit weird, and the need to press one of the many
buttons on the front panel first to select what it controls makes the
whole interface seems a bit cobbled. It also baffles me why it doesn't
default to volume control, and why if you switch it to volume control it
then automatically reverts back to the default (I forget what the
default is, TBH).

But one thing thing that I feel isn't open to debate is the fact that
including it in the first place was a folly. It's not needed, is
probably the most most expensive single component on the device, and
presumably the code needed to operate it takes up precious memory in the
firmware that could have been put to better use. It was also the source
of irritating intermittent de-gaussing noises for some users (although
that never affected me - perhaps because I didn't use it and so it
didn't need de-gaussing?) Remove it and its associated buttons from the
front panel and the TP could have been considerably cheaper. (But then I
guess making it cheap would have defeated the object of positioning the
TP as an audiophile device).

Transporter -> ATC SCM100A