Getgaff wrote:
> Ordered a NOS Transporter SE earlier this week from hotdogtec. My offer
> was accepted and it's now here in the UK, just waiting for it to be
> delivered.
> Originally had the TransNav knob version, sold it last year and
> regretted it. Absolutely don't need a Transporter what with owning a
> SBT/iFi SPDIF iPurifier combo and a Auralic Altair, but WTH :D .

Hi Getgaff!

Hope you're pleased with your Transporter SE when you receive it.

The 3.4% import duty on delivered price to UK (ie including all shipping
& insurance costs) & then VAT at 20% on top of all of that (including
the import duty!) is a bit of a pain but that's Great Britain for you!
Sales tax in California (from which you will have been exempt as an
export sale) is only 9% & they grumble about that. I'm old enough to
remember basic rate VAT at 8% (although luxury goods were fairly soon,
if not immediately - don't recall, charged at 15% & a gizmo like a
Transporter would I'm sure have qualified for the higher rate), then
15%, 17.5% & finally 20%. We're mugs to put up with it. Just to think
that William Gladstone, the 19th Century Whig prime minister actually
wanted to abolish income tax although he never achieved this aim...

Nevertheless, you still end up with a good deal considering that there
are no stocks of SE's left elsewhere & relative to the retail price
before Logitech axed the Squeezebox family (grrrr!). Once I'd got the
lie of the land I got a much better deal with my 2nd unused one  :cool:.

I've still got my Slim Devices Trans-Sat knob Transporter which I bought
s/hand in the UK in 2009, & could well date as far back as 2005 - when I
hooked up the first of the 2 unused SE's I bought earlier this year from
San Jose, CA the sound was indistinguishable. Let's hope that the
quality control was as good for the SE's under Logitech's badging & that
they'll also be as good in 12 years time. TBH, I never used the fabled
knob, preferring the Windows GUI & the remote. I might sell my original
when all the unused ones are gone...

Dave :)