Sorry Mark it wasn't personal. Your statement came across as someone who seemed
not to understand the reality of what responsibility of checking can mean. You
can read all about it here

https://www.atsb.gov.au/publications/investigation_reports/2001/aair/aair200100348/

He was a mate and I was the instructor who did his initial twin rating after he
had issues at another school, I did the rating in a B58 and gave him the most
thorough twin endorsement I have ever done. I passed him and wrote "to std" on
his logbook. It was a few years later that he had his accident and ultimately
it was a system issue, fatigue and other factors that got him. Unfortunately I
still think about it every now and then as Western Australia lost four
excellent policeman and four families still miss their fathers and sons. I
can't help but wonder if I had missed something or passed him when I shouldn't
have.

The other one is here

https://www.atsb.gov.au/media/2486613/ao2010023.pdf

So let me reiterate my passionate feelings, every time you check someone you
are standing up and saying you are willing to let that person operate to a set
of standards in accordance with the relevant rules and regulations. It doesn't
matter what the rules say or what a court says, if there is an incident you
have to be able to live with yourself. If you are lazy or not on the ball  and
someone dies you are morally responsible.

As much as the GFA, CASA and others are criticised they are there to stop some
poor bugger knocking on a door late at night to tell them that their loved ones
are not coming home. The fact that their remains are nothing more than blood
and guts wrapped in fibreglass and metal should not be forgotten and someone
has to clean that up as well.

So Mark it wasn't personal however perhaps you might see how someone who takes
safety very seriously wants to minimise the risk. I have to share the airspace
as well as a slow glider pilots in my ancient Nimbus 2, I get very tired of
sailplane pilots not wanting to man up and get their stuff together. If you had
of heard the lack of calls in CTAFS during the pre-worlds you would have been
horrified. As a holder of a PPL you know that every two years you front up to
an examiner with up to date logbook, current charts and free of alcohol and
drugs. You do that to ensure that you will get to keep the privileges of your
licence. The examiner is essentially putting his future mental health and
possible lively hood on the line and entrusting you to act within the risk
mitigators as laid out by the regs.  So next time someone signs you out say
thankful for the trust they are putting in you.

Sent from my iPad