At 13:33 28/03/2007, you wrote:
If an aircraft has a mechanism (separate handle or end of airbrake travel)
to actuate a wheel brake, but the brake has been disabled or is not
functioning as it should, should it not be filled out as a minor defect in
the MR?

Nick Gilbert

Mike Borgelt wrote:

> Anyone else see what's wrong with this?

I take it you're referring to the deliberate impairment of a potentially
life-saving device in an aircraft to work around a personal discipline
lapse amongst its pilots?

   - mark
     [ who spent about 2 hours repairing a wheel brake cable
       last night :-) ]

No, not a  MINOR defect.

IF IT DOES NOT WORK ACCORDING TO THE MANUFACTURER'S TYPE DATA CERTIFICATION SHEET THEN THE AIRCRAFT IS NOT AIRWORTHY.

The purpose of maintenance is to keep the aircraft in its certified condition.

Not to say we should rely on using the wheel brake - but if a motor mechanic 'fixed' your car brakes so the ABS didn't work, and as a result you had an accident and killed a passenger... (I should not need to complete the argument).

Wombat