-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Mike
Cleaver
Sent: Wednesday, 28 March 2007 7:47 PM
To: Discussion of issues relating to Soaring in Australia.
Subject: Re: [Aus-soaring] Tost wheel brakes

At 13:33 28/03/2007, you wrote:
>If an aircraft has a mechanism (separate handle or end of airbrake travel)
>to actuate a wheel brake, but the brake has been disabled or is not
>functioning as it should, should it not be filled out as a minor defect in
>the MR?
>
>Nick Gilbert
>

>Mike Borgelt wrote:
>
> > Anyone else see what's wrong with this?
>
>I take it you're referring to the deliberate impairment of a potentially
>life-saving device in an aircraft to work around a personal discipline
>lapse amongst its pilots?
>
>    - mark
>      [ who spent about 2 hours repairing a wheel brake cable
>        last night :-) ]

No, not a  MINOR defect.

IF IT DOES NOT WORK ACCORDING TO THE MANUFACTURER'S TYPE DATA
CERTIFICATION SHEET THEN THE AIRCRAFT IS NOT AIRWORTHY.

The purpose of maintenance is to keep the aircraft in its certified
condition.

Not to say we should rely on using the wheel brake - but if a motor
mechanic 'fixed' your car brakes so the ABS didn't work, and as a
result you had an accident and killed a passenger... (I should not
need to complete the argument).

Wombat