There seem to be some strong views on this, 2 of the very experienced
instructors who espouse these views have flown the glider in question
recently, and obviously didn't find the brakes bad enough to report.

I noticed the poor braking during basic training 10 years ago and asked why
this was the case. I would on consideration, rather have a fully functional
brake, but it was not and is not my decision. The case remains that learning
in this glider has made sure I never rely on a wheel brake.

On another subject, MikeB I found it amusing that you seem to feel that
adding a whole lot of flammable liquid and 2 very hot engine's to a glider
is going to make it safer, fuel fires in motor gliders are certainly not
unknown are they? As I recollect the main killer in air crashes is fire.

" but if a motor
mechanic 'fixed' your car brakes so the ABS didn't work, and as a
result you had an accident and killed a passenger... (I should not
need to complete the argument)".

I would be very happy to have the ABS in my car (EB Falcon) disabled, as
this particular ABS makes it MORE likely to kill someone when on dirt or in
wet weather. Rejoining the bitumen Highway from the dirt road to Stonefield
the other day the ABS cut in unnecessarily at 25km/h on a small section of
bitumen with scattered gravel, the brake pedal suddenly dropped away under
my foot and very nearly put me in front of oncoming traffic, this is not a
faulty ABS it is the way this early version of ABS was designed to function!
So the mechanic might indeed save a life in some cases. That's why such
analogies are at best of dubious value.

Dave L