Early ABS was taken direct from systems developed for European conditions,
it was only as time went on that "calibration" was done for Australian
conditions - such as gravel roads. They had deficiencies in some
circumstances (gravel) but probably still worked quite well on most bitumen
roads. It's the old road (and other) safety dilemma, where a system fails
(such as a mechanical failure, or you didn't upgrade a particular corner)
the bad outcome is there for all to see and quantify. But you never now how
many lives you saved because you did do something, as you can't count a
crash that didn't happen. In the aggregate, you can find gross trends and
try and work out why, but not specifics.

It may well be that there is a fuse (or similar) you can remove to disable
your ABS. I have a car with stability management, there is a switch on the
dash to turn it off if I want to.

Allan Armistead
ph (02) 6249 6470, mobile 0413 013 911
PO Box 908, Dickson ACT 2602, Australia

"When once you have tasted flight, you will always walk with your eyes
turned skyward, for there you have been and there you always will be."
Leonardo da Vinci, 1452-1519