Hi Tim,

But that's why we split it into club and sports and enable two different tasks,
that was anyway the reason brought forward by Hank amongst others.

Rgds - Rolf

From: tshir...@internode.on.net
To: aus-soaring@lists.internode.on.net
Date: Thu, 8 Oct 2009 19:11:19 +1100
Subject: Re: [Aus-soaring] Club Class competition

Hi Phil,

The main reason that all the task types are listed there is that there is only
one set of rules covering all Nationals classes – multiclass, club class and
juniors – so this is the only place they can go.  The idea was that then the
individual events would specify in local rules which task types apply to their
particular contests.

Traditionally club class did not set AST because of the wide range of glider
types and performances competing.  The tasks would either be too short for the
higher performance ships or too long for the lower performance.  AAT (and
before that, POST) tasks were considered fairer.

Even with the restriction in performance to international rules there is still
a wide range, from LS8 to Libelle.  Clearly the faster gliders would have a
huge advantage by being able to use the optimum part of the day, if a fixed
length task was set.  While the handicap deals with some of that, it can’t fix
it all, especially if outlandings occur because slower gliders can’t get home.

It’s come up a few times at pilots meetings.  Usually briefly.

Cheers

Tim