What's the problem? Just set an AAT with a 0.5 km TP radius!

Wombat, who plans on being at Lake Keepit next month.

At 20:49 10/10/2009, you wrote:
I'm with you Phil....AAT's are limp. Bring on the club class AST's!
I don't like the fact that just beacoause you fly in the club class (for whatever reason), you dont get to fly ASTs in the comp. setting. It is just not representative of different skills. ASTs work fine in eurpoe, NZ and the US, so what is the problem?

JIm

----------
To: aus-soaring@lists.internode.on.net
Date: Fri, 9 Oct 2009 21:53:10 +1030
From: tshir...@internode.on.net
Subject: Re: [Aus-soaring] Club Class competition

Hi Phil,

Perhaps you misunderstood. I was not defendin g the situation, just answering your question about the history and reasoning behind the way it has been done up to now - and in particular to explain why there are three task types in the rules but only one allowed in the competition.

I think it is for the pilots and the NCC to discuss and agree on the appropriate format of tasking. I notice that in the World Club Class the fly a mixture of fixed and AAT.

Cheers

Tim

On Fri 09/10/09 9:46 AM , "Phil" phil...@internode.on.net sent:
Thanks Tim

The handicap range is the only obvious disadvantage to setting AST. It isn't such a disadvantage that it can't be done though - at least half of the tasks in club class overseas, using the same handicap range, are speed tasks. The handicap range is about 10% so on a 3 hour task (180 minutes) the slowest would do it at 3 hours 18 minutes. Not enough difference in my mind to outright ban the task type given the increase in fun factor. Pick the day of course.

Next:I know I've been slack at attending pilots meetings but I can't remember Speed tasks being raised as a topic. (there were three at the last club class comp, maybe I slipped into a coma temporarily) I stand to be corrected.

Finally: I've looked at the handicap document on the GFA web site <http://2009.gfa.org.au/Docs/sport/competition/Handicaps0910_ClubClass.pdf>http://2009.gfa.org.au/Docs/sport/competition/Handicaps0910_ClubClass.pdf and the handicap range for the second column labelled club class goes from 0.92 (ASW20) to 1.40 (Zephyrus). The LS8 is put in Performance class even though it has a handicap of 0.92 like the ASW20. The GFA web site has a second document <http://2009.gfa.org.au/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=691&Itemid=184>http://2009.gfa.org.au/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=691&Itemid=184 that then gives a list of eligible gliders - a much narrower range that mirrors the world club class. I'm guessing this is the one that applies but it is open for debate if someone got bloody minded. Of course putting the Olympia in performance class uses the widest definition of Performance.

Philip Ritchie