2013/10/29 Eugen Dedu <eugen.d...@pu-pm.univ-fcomte.fr>:
> Thank you first for your answers.  See below.
>

> On 29/10/13 14:31, Paweł Rumian wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> before I will answer some of your questions, I'd point you to a
>> fundamental difference - while Gnome is a complete desktop
>> environment, awesome is just(?) a window manager.
>> You will need to use some additional tools to get the results you have
>> out-of-the-box in gnome. Gnome also probably uses some separate
>> programs, just installs and configures them without your
>> interaction...
>>

>>> nautilus started for icons on background,
>>
>> http://awesome.naquadah.org/wiki/Autostart
>>
>>> screensaver at ctrl-alt-l
>>
>> Install a screensaver and configure it to use a shortcut.
>>
>>> automounting
>>
>> Use udev rules or helper programs or autoFS in kernel
>>
>>> audio applet,
>>
>> Install audio applet of your choice
>>
>>> suspend2ram when closing the lid (see below for others)?
>>

>> Use/configure acpid
>

> I noticed how to add some of this *manually*.  I searched for a gnome-ish
> style with all this inside, so that I do not spend hours for it.  And, since
> it uses external programs developed independently of awesome, I fear that I
> will run into trouble.  But I will try.

Hey, we've all been there at some point :)

About three of four years ago I switched from KDE to awesome - now I
cannot believe how could I have used that loads of unnecessary
bloatware ;)

Most of the tasks that you've mentioned above are perfectly doable by
simple programs that adhere to Unix philosophy (that 'do one thing
good' one).
No worries.

After some time icons seem to be absolutely redundant when you have
command line with tab completion just one keystroke away.
Screensaver? Take this, in 7kb there aren't many things that could
interfere with other programs
http://tools.suckless.org/slock

udev and acpid are probably already running on your machine, this is
just a matter of configuration... And so on...

> I exaggerate a bit, but it is like now we cannot buy assembled computers
> anymore.  One has to choose each of the pieces to have a computer.  It is
> useful to have customisation, but is there a customisation ready to use,
> familiar to people coming from a desktop manager?

For me it would be like buying an already-built LEGO model ;)
Assembling your own desktop environment can be fun...

> Well, I noticed several people are happy with that.  But I am too habituated
> to have some applications at fixed size and at fixed locations, and minimise
> them when I do not need them.

Perhaps you are among those people who would never adopt to tiling,
but honestly speaking, I doubt it.
Instead of minimizing applications, just switch to a fresh tag...

> Well, I still use gnome-terminal, so the settings are the same as in gnome.
> Still, in gnome there was a bell, now there is not.  And "terminal bell" is
> checked on in terminal settings.

Hmm, a bit strange... Perhaps Gnome configured sound system in some
way at start?
Do you have any sounds at all? I guess you might need to take a llok
at alsa/pulseaudio/whatever else is there...

>>> How to enlarge the height of the statusbar and the size of the fonts used
>>> inside?  Currently, on my 1920x1200 15"4 screen the statusbar is too
>>> small.
>>

>> Edit theme.lua of your current theme.
>

> Ok, thanks.
>

>>> I also notices that the keyboard time before repeating key has changed.
>>> Is
>>> that right?
>>

>> These things are configured by xset.
>

> Since in gnome and in awesome this setting is different, this means that
> gnome itself modifies this setting, I suppose.  Ok, I can do it too.

Yeah, KDE did this, so Gnome could as well...

HTH,
Paweł