Hi Eugen,
>From your work flow, it sounds like awesome is perfect for you. The
arrangement of the windows you described sounds ideal for tiling. Find a
tiling scheme that works for you, and just let awesome do the arranging for
you. Never move or resize windows ever again. It's hard to tell from your
description which layout would be best. Play with them, and see what you
like.

Awesome does have minimize functionality. The default key binding is Mod4-n
to minimize and Mod4-Ctrl-n to unminimize. It's certainly possible to use
tags instead of minimizing, but not necessary.

Tags in awesome, like its predecessor dwm, are a very flexible and powerful
way to use multiple desktops. To truly leverage its power, use tags
heavily. Since it's so flexible, how you use them depends on your
preferences. Some people like to have all instances of any given
application in each tag. You can easily configure awesome to always open an
application in a specific tag.

The way I like to use it is to use a tag for each project I'm working on.
All the relevant browsers, editors, and terminals are in their project's
tag. I use minimize whenever I want to hide an application relevant to a
specific project. I used to minimize often for windows that belonged to
different project. Now that I use tags heavily, I rarely need to minimize.

Your Thunderbird window sounds like its of more general interest, something
you want quick access to wherever you are. You could assign it its own tag,
and then just go to that tag whenever you want to see it. But then
everything else you're doing wouldn't be visible. If it's something you
refer to a lot when you're in your other applications, this is an ideal
case for tagging an application with multiple tags. If you hit
Mod4-Shift-Control-#, it will add that tag to the application. So if it's
in tag 1, and you hit Mod4-Shift-Control-2, it will be visible in both tags
1 and 2. Then you can minimize it when you don't need it. It's also
possible to view multiple tags at once, but hitting Mod4-Control-#. So,
another approach is to have Thunderbird in its own tag, and then when
you're in another tag and want to see Thunderbird, you just view both tags.
It all depends on what feels the most intuitive to you.

dwm has a tag 0, which represents all tags. I found this incredibly useful.
Awesome isn't configured with it by default, but it was trivial for me to
add it. That's where awesome really shines. You can literally add entirely
new features with a few lines of Lua code.

Marshall

On Wed, Oct 30, 2013 at 9:47 AM, Eugen Dedu <eugen.d...@pu-pm.univ-fcomte.fr