Hi Eugen,

On Wed 30.10.2013 17:47:58, Eugen Dedu wrote:
> On 30/10/13 16:49, Gabe Martin wrote:
> >a tag is just a group of applications. rather than minimising and
> >maximising things, you can assign applications to different tags. then,
> >when you want to view those things, you can toggle the tag to be visible
> >along with your current tag, and, when you're done, toggle that tag to be
> >invisible again.
>
> So IF you put one app per tag, then minimising an app is equivalent
> to disabling a tag.  (Except that by default you do not see the apps
> from other tags, I suppose this can be changed if needed.)
>
> I suppose the benefit of using tags appears when you put several
> apps in one tag.  I still do not see the benefit.
>
> I gave you my work flow.  Could you give some test cases for tag
> usage (or your work flow)?

In your workflow I'd think you'd be best of by putting emacs, thunderbird
and firefox each on one tag, and scattering your other applications (pdf,
terminals...) on one tag per task. Than if you need to jump between tasks
you can simply change the tag to get back to where you were, and maybe
switch to a thunderbird or emacs tag intermittingly to update the todo or
check the mails. Than you'd also profit most of the tiling layouts, as
emacs/thunderbird/firefox are using the full screen when you only have
their tag open, same with the collection of various windows on a task-tag,
and when you mix the two tags they'll share the available space without you
intervening.

> What do you put precisely in your tags and more importantly how do you
> use them?

I have a tag for nearly everything. So there are tags for
chrome,mutt,irssi,pidgin,games,rdp clients,ica clients etc. There are some
special tags I have like the one going to a jumphost and appox 20-100
servers at work, which are not as well split up as I'd like, and some tags
that contain a bunch of misc terminals which were opened over the long
runtime. And than there are some tags that contain everything for a
specific task, like a manpage, editor and a testing terminal, or a
filebrowser with some code-editor for web-development (there for example I
often mix in the web-tag for viewing the results of my code and the
html-inspector).

It took me a while to figure out how to run it for myself, but in the end
it only has to suit me. What I love about it is that I can apply the same
config on my work, my home and my laptop without ever worrying where
something is. So if I want to go to my web-tag it's always just a Mod4-1
far, same with my chat at no. 9, irssi at 8, mutt at 7, etc etc..

> Note that permitting to have an app in several tags cannot be
> considered a reason to use tags.

Well, it is a benefit compared to what gnome does. But it depends on what
you need. Like with the web-dev scheme above it wouldn't be possible to tag
the chrome-window with my project on it as well to the www-tag as to the
webdev-tag.

Regards, Andre

--
Andre Klärner