Hello Josip,

Well for end users such as myself, I do consider having Bacula all over 
your system a problem.  First, if I want to bring up a new version, I 
simply do:

cp -a /opt/bacula /opt/old-bacula
save the database

then install a new version.  If something goes wrong, it is easy to roll 
back to the previous version.  In addition, when saving the database 
dump every evening, I have Bacula backup the database dump plus 
everything in /opt/bacula with the exclusion of a few directories such 
as /opt/bacula/working, ...

In case of an emergency, it is then easy to get back the database and 
all of Bacula including the conf files very easily.  The same can be 
done when the Bacula files are sprayed all over your system, bit 
generally, you either need to do a big backup or you need to know 
exactly what files to backup and where they are.  It is easy to forget 
one, especially if you upgrade and we release a new file or you decide 
to modify mtx-changer or something ...

That said, you are free to do it your way :-)

Best regards,
Kern

On 11/28/2016 01:10 PM, Josip Deanovic wrote:
> On Monday 2016-11-28 11:56:25 Jaime Ferrer Hepp wrote:
>> Thanks Josip, I 'll take a look into it. Mainly what might be helpful is
>> to have bacula-fd binaries for the different linux distributions and
>> version. Regarding bacula-dir and bacula-sd I prefer to use Kern's
>> suggestion to have all files under /opt/bacula. Today I have it using
>> the "RedHat standard" and it is really cumbersome to maintain and
>> update.
> I don't know. It's all the same for me if all the paths are properly set.
>
> If all the libraries, binaries and manuals are at the correct locations
> they should already exist in the relevant path environment variable and
> you shouldn't experience any problems whether you are using /opt/bacula
> or /usr as your prefix during the configure and compile time.
>
> In case you want to check the content of the bacula rpm package you can
> simply issue the command rpm -ql <name of the package> and that's it.
>
> I understand that the bacula developers have additional things to care
> abut because they need to make it easier to support but for the end users
> it shouldn't be a problem or at least I am unable to see it.
>


------------------------------------------------------------------------------
_______________________________________________
Bacula-users mailing list
[email protected]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/bacula-users

Reply via email to