According to JFReichardt - his lutenist father could produce a passage of 6 tones with his left hand, on a single pluck.
His father was a student of Belogradsky, a student of Weiss in turn.
RT

----- Original Message ----- From: "William Samson" <willsam...@yahoo.co.uk>
To: <baroque-lute@cs.dartmouth.edu>
Sent: Thursday, September 01, 2011 7:29 AM
Subject: [BAROQUE-LUTE] Hammering on and snapping off

  I'm curious to know when the playing of notes with left hand only first
  appeared.  Clearly it was used whenever there were graces to be played,
  but what about written-out phrases?  I have noticed there are slur-like
  indications in later baroque lute music under phrases that lend
  themselves to left-hand-only playing.  Is that the intent?

  Sorry if this is baby stuff, but I'm not terribly familiar with the
  later sources.

  Thanks,

  Bill Samson