There was an interview with Nigel North in a recent issue of the LSA
quarterly (xlv/2, summer 2010), where he referred to those written out final
phrases with many flags in English manuscripts around 1600. IIRC he said
that the fact that they are written out, doesn't mean you have to hit each
note with your right hand. Rather, these groups of very fast notes can be
slurred.

In a talk on French baroque lute music (Lute News 85, April 2008) Anthony
Bailes mentioned the difficulties that Mersenne (1636) and Denis Gaultier
(1669) met in indicating technical legato, and their respective solutions.
With Mouton and Jeune Gallot, the curved line between two letters remained
the standard sign for hammering-on.

Mathias