On 23 Aug 2000 18:54:05 -0500, Michael Harnois <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:

    >> Can you do a make reallyclean and rebuild it from scratch?

    > Yup. Same result.

Something is going wrong with your syntax in the makefile, but I don't
grok this stuff enough to know what. I can run the section

        $(EMACS) -batch -q -l autoload \
                --eval '(setq generated-autoload-file "'`pwd`'/$@")' \
                --eval '(setq make-backup-files nil)' \
                --eval '(setq autoload-package-name "bbdb")' \
                -f batch-update-autoloads `pwd`

from the command line, and I end up with a file named $@ which does
contain the correct autoloads. If I do "make bbdb-autoloads.el" from
the lisp subdirectory, the shell tells me it is evaluated thusly:

xemacs -batch -q -l autoload \
--eval '(setq generated-autoload-file "'`pwd`'/bbdb-autoloads.el")' \
        --eval '(setq make-backup-files nil)' \
        --eval '(setq autoload-package-name "bbdb")' \
        -f batch-update-autoloads `pwd`
Updating autoloads for directory /usr/local/src/bbdb/lisp...
Wrote /usr/local/src/bbdb/lisp/bbdb-autoloads.el
Wrote /usr/local/src/bbdb/lisp/bbdb-autoloads.el

but then I get the bbdb-autoloads.el that contains nothing.

--
Michael D. Harnois, Redeemer Lutheran Church, Washburn, IA
[EMAIL PROTECTED]                      [EMAIL PROTECTED]