> I have been using the bbdb for about two months now and I feel like I
> am using it wrong.  I spend all my time tweaking the
> bbdb-ignore-some-messages-alist for email addresses I don't want
> noticed, to protect them from being automatically added (I have that
> turned on for gnus mail groups).

Ask yourself: "of all the addresses I am automatically snarfing, what
percentage do I really want to keep?"  If that number is low, then
turn off automatic snarfing of addresses and just add the ones you
want by hand (in gnus type a colon (:) in the summary buffer.)  A more
complicated approach, and what I use: if there's a particular group or
set of groups you want to do automatic snarfing in, you can set that
properly with gnus-select-group-hook.

(add-hook 'gnus-select-group-hook
          (lambda ()
            (setq bbdb/news-auto-create-p
                  (if (or (string= gnus-newsgroup-name
                                   "nnimap+linux:INBOX.inbox")
                          (string= gnus-newsgroup-name
                                   "nnimap+linux:INBOX.deptmgt")
                          (string= gnus-newsgroup-name
                                   "nnimap+linux:INBOX.infosec"))
                      'bbdb-ignore-some-messages-hook nil))))

Thus when I'm in three folders, I've got auto-snarfing turned on
(modulo bbdb-ignore-some-messages-alist, which you already know
about).

Hth,
--
Dave Goldberg