Nix <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Benjamin Rutt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> > Well thanks everyone for the responses.  Nix, I'll wait for your
> > generically kludgy machinery to play with the additional bbdb fields,
> > (I'll be eagerly monitoring gnu.emacs.sources :)) and I'll take a look
>
> I've done the refactoring of the ugly bits out of bbdb-expire.el (they
> are now marginally less ugly and easier to put where they belong in a
> neater form, which is inside the BBDB itself), and I'm writing
> bbdb-sort-frequency.el at the moment. A few hours and it should be done,
> I hope.

Nope. Bugger.

It's impossible to do this as BBDB is presently written, because I can't
arrange to use alternate sortkeys *at all*; `bbdb-record-sortkey' and
`bbdb-record-lessp', the functions I could change to add a numeric
sorting feature, are both macros, so they have been effectively
hardwired into the BBDB functions that call them; redefining or advising
them would do nothing.

There is a mention in the TODO list of

   * Sorting records on alternate keys.  `bbdb-sort-by' from Boris
     Goldowsky.

that should be useful; does the bleeding-edge BBDB implement this yet?
If it does I'll pull it down and rewrite the BBDB expiry and sorting
code for it.

(Equally, there is an entry

   * Soren Dayton's method for generically extending the BBDB with
     special-purpose fields

which would be useful, especially if those fields could be other than
strings; it is annoying to have to convert numeric data to strings and
back all the time.)

--
`Normally, we don't do people's homework around here, but Venice
 is a very beautiful city, so I'll make a small exception.'