Benjamin Rutt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Well thanks everyone for the responses.  Nix, I'll wait for your
> generically kludgy machinery to play with the additional bbdb fields,
> (I'll be eagerly monitoring gnu.emacs.sources :)) and I'll take a look

I've done the refactoring of the ugly bits out of bbdb-expire.el (they
are now marginally less ugly and easier to put where they belong in a
neater form, which is inside the BBDB itself), and I'm writing
bbdb-sort-frequency.el at the moment. A few hours and it should be done,
I hope.

> at whether I can stand pressing : in gnus to manually add a record.

I've never got that to work at all. `Wrong type argument: stringp, nil'.

Never got around to investigating it; 90%+ chance it's my configuration
that's at fault, though, because nobody else seems to have any trouble
with it.

> However, something tells me that I can't stand manually adding
> records.  What first led me to the bbdb was the magic that it would be
> sitting there all the time, gathering info silently.  I have realized

Agreed.

> that mixed in with frequent contacts is a lot of noise.  There has to
> be a way to make bbdb work silently like a big brother while still
> being useful.

As others have said, what you want is a trick to arrange to give people
that are noticed in your mailbox a special field, so that they stand out
from the crowd and you can sort by them and so forth. If you elide that
field by putting it on `bbdb-elided-display', you never need to see it
yourself at all.

I've got such a trick in my .gnus but it is *so* ugly and in need of a
rewrite that I'm not really willing to show it to anyone :) (I think
I'll do a grand rewrite of my .gnus at some point; maybe then I won't be
ashamed to give bits of it away...)

> Besides, the spammers may get me once, but they'll never get me again
> because of procmail filtering and/or gnus scoring.  So with a '1'
> value for 'noticed-frequency' they'll surely be way at the bottom of
> my imaginary "sorted-by-noticed-frequency" presentation of the M-x
> bbdb.  At that point, I will be very happy.

That's a good start. Expiring them out means you'll never have more than
a few there anyway.

But sticking a `this is important' field on them --- or just not letting
the BBDB notice people in news at all --- seems like the best course to
me.

> Nix, let me know if there's any elbow room in your expire-bbdb.el
> rewrite, I'd love to learn more about the bbdb internals.

I'm not sure what you mean by this. Maybe my English parser has failed :)

I hope that the new expiry code (when I post it in a few hours) will be
a little easier to grasp; I've added comments to it and so forth.

--
`Normally, we don't do people's homework around here, but Venice
 is a very beautiful city, so I'll make a small exception.'