On Saturday, October 28 2000 22:40:40, Tom Perrine wrote:
> Sort of a PIM (Personal Info Manager, to use the
> buzzword-compliant term) DB, perhaps based on an SQL
> database, perhaps layering a PIM API onto the DBI API, if
> you will.
The real question is why should we put a real DBMS behind
BBDB, or why not?  Using a RDBMS like mySQL or the like
would not improve speed (as Waider described)!  It would
make it harder for new users to setup a environment for
BBDB, as setting up a DBMS is usually not just fun.  Of
course one could keep the current flat file but then there
are two things which must be handled and dealing with schema
evolution (file version upgrades) is disgusting.

IMHO there is only one interesting point about using a DBMS
behind BBDB, which is a group of people sharing a BBDB.
Then it would be great to push the concurrency problems
involved with this to a DBMS, but still I wonder about a
feasible way how one would notice updates of others.
However is there any real need to compete with MS Exchange
Server?  Is there anyone who wants to use/share BBDB
cooperatively with other people?  Or would it be just fine
to have this import/export mechanism?  Then one might send a
bunch of exported records to other people and merge imported
ones with his own BBDB?

So if there are no real needs, I my answer is also
no, no, no ...

Prost,
Robert